Swimming Pools, Movie Stars

This past weekend I took a vacation to Los Angeles. I won the trip from the Newark Star-Ledger by answering a multitude of movie trivia questions. They were quite difficult, some requiring extensive research (I even had to rent a few films from Netflix to get answers). I teamed up with my buddy Bob, so we both had perfect scores, but my name got picked so I took him with me (as he did when he won 3 years ago).

It was a sweet set-up, as I got free airfare, rental car, hotel (the Hilton Universal), passes to Universal, and a Hollywood Star Homes tour. The first day we cruised down Wilshire Boulevard, checked out the Disney Concert Hall in downtown, and then went up to Dodger Stadium to see a game. I was pretty tuckered out by the end, but it's a nice place to see a baseball game.

The next day was devoted to Hollywood. We took the Star Homes tour, which we also did three years ago. This time the tour guide wasn't as polished, but we saw some different stuff. What I will remember is the Guess designer Marciano's house, which had about a dozen Ferraris in the driveway. I couldn't believe he kept them exposed to the elements like that. Then we went through the Hollywood History Museum, which is housed in the old Max Factor building. If the Smithsonian is America's attic, then this is Hollywood's. It's full of old pictures, posters, costumes and other bric-a-brac from across the decades. There's an extensive collection of Marilyn Monroe memorabilia, as well as Hannibal Lecter's cell from Silence of the Lambs.

After that we hopped back in the car and found the Hollywood Reservoir, and then worked our way up the mountain to get the closest possible view of the Hollywood sign. We got about as close as legally allowed, driving around some hairpin turns and scary ascents. We felt quite a sense of accomplishment.

After some time in the pool, we headed back into Hollywood to a cemetery called Hollywood Forever. On Saturday nights during the summer, they play movies outdoors there, projecting a film against the large mausoleum that holds the mortal remains of Rudolph Valentino. A sizable crowd of hipsters gathered, lying on pillows and blankets on the grass. The movie this time was Roman Holiday, which I'd never seen before. This is the film that made Audrey Hepburn a star, and it was absolutely delightful. It was directed by William Wyler, and was very well-crafted.

On Sunday we took a drive up the Pacific Coast Highway to Malibu, and then into Simi Valley to visit the Ronald Reagan Library. I'm no admirer of Reagan's, but I enjoy Presidential libraries (I've been to Nixon's and Kennedy's). Reagan's isn't as interesting as theirs, but that makes sense because he wasn't a terribly complex man. The museum is as bland as the man and his presidency. There were a few references to Iran-Contra (a clip of him denying knowledge but claiming responsibility), no references to Bitburg, and plenty to him bringing an end to the Cold War. Nancy Reagan, improbably, was hailed as the most admired First Lady of the 20th Century (Eleanor Roosevelt, anyone?). It was interesting to go through Air Force One, which is kept there intact in a separate rotunda.

That afternoon we went to Universal Studios. My days for amusement parks are long gone, and we had only a few hours, so we hit the major rides. As usual, it was about a half-hour wait for each one, and then the ride lasts about five minutes. The Jurassic Park ride was neat, and you get soaked at the end.

That night we drove back to Hollywood to Grauman's Chinese Theater to see Live Free or Die Hard. We wanted to see a film there, and this one wasn't smelly enough to keep us away (we would have balked at Evan Almighty). I will write a full review tomorrow. We also wandered around the hand and footprints in the cement. The newest were the Ocean's 13 guys--George Clooney, Brad Pitt and Matt Damon. One realizes that there can't be enough room for everyone, so they must take the panels out of those who are no longer famous.

On Monday morning we had time to stop by Venice Beach for breakfast before heading back to the airport. All in all it was a great time, with great weather. If I could I would make a trip to Hollywood every year.

Comments

  1. Anonymous6:12 PM

    Welcome back! I'm glad you enjoyed the trip. Hollywood is a fun place to visit. I admit that I got a chill when I saw Gene Kelly's prints at Grauman's-to think that he had been in that very spot!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts