The Answer Man

I had to stew on The Answer Man for a while to sort out what I thought of it. I knew I didn't like it, but I wasn't quite sure why. Then it occurred to me--it's heart is in the right place, but it's incredibly obvious.

Jeff Daniels plays the author of a world-famous bestseller, a spiritual tome that purports to be answers to life's persistent questions, supplied by God. Let me say that again--Daniels has written a book claiming he communicates with God, and millions of people have taken it face value.

He's a recluse, though, and acquires a Salinger-like mystique. People assume he's some mystic, but in reality he's a foul-mouthed misanthrope. It isn't until two people come into his life that he discovers that though he has helped millions of people, he can't help himself. Get out your hankies!

The two people are Lou Taylor Pucci, a bookstore owner who struggles with alcoholism, and Lauren Graham as a chiropractor who fixes Daniels' back and steals his heart. It doesn't take a high IQ to figure out that they will fall in love, problems will arise, and he will have to change his ways and become a caring person. This script could have been written by a computer program.

The ending, in particular, is incredibly predictable. I won't spoil it, but Daniels insinuates he has a big secret, which he reveals it at the end. Let me say one more time--he claims to talk to God, and no one questions this.

The actors are appealing and work hard, but there are no real characters here. Daniels is all over the map, and he's playing a familiar type. I love Graham in The Gilmore Girls, but aside from Bad Santa her movie choices have been a list of clunkers. I'd love to see her in a really good role.

The director is John Hindman, who probably has some interesting things to say about spirituality and twelve-step programs, but he doesn't in this film.

Comments

Popular Posts