Paco

Right now, as I write this, I'm in bed and at my feet is lying a dog. He is the first dog I've ever owned and I'm kind of awestruck by the whole thing. His name is Paco, and if you are a reader of mine you remember that he was one of three dogs owned by the family where I stayed when I first arrived in Las Vegas. They have given him to me and now he's mine. I feel a great weight of responsibility.

I fell in love with Paco at first sight. First of all, he's very neurotic, which suits me. He's afraid of a lot of things, including his food dish (he eats his food straight off the floor). Since arriving here he's been very skittish, as I would expect, as his routine is completely upended and he's not sure where he is. I'm sure he missed his two fellow dogs and the other members of the family. At least he knows me. When the AC comes in it makes a noise that makes him run to me.

This will mean a lot of changes for me. I'll have to walk him, of course, and take care of his veterinary and grooming needs. He's in need of a haircut and he needs his teeth cleaned. Getting up early to walk him on weekends will not be fun, and I can't really be gone for more than about six hours at a time. This is the first step to actually having a child.

He's looking around right now, and is barking at little noises. I wish I could explain to him what's going on, but that is impossible, and he will have to make this transition at his own pace.

Wow. I'm officially a dog owner. What a glorious feeling.

Comments

Popular Posts