The Simpsons Movie


A lot of ink has been spilled in the last few weeks about the cultural phenomenon that is The Simpsons. I have no argument with anyone who says that is the best show in the history of television, but it is inarguable that the show has seen a decline in the last five or so years. Therefore, it couldn't be certain what kind of quality the first feature-length film with the
four-fingered, yellow-skinned denizens of Springfield would yield.

I'm happy to report that I enjoyed the film very much. Simpsons' devotees can get quite monkish about the show, and some of those who have disliked the film have pointed out things that are quite true. The plot is nothing new. Homer has ruined the eco-system of Springfield before, and there have been multi-eyed animal mutations before. Bart has been seduced by the idea of Ned Flanders being has father before, Homer has found truths with the aid of Native American spiritualists, and the clan has been on the run and tried to start over again numerous times. But the final answer to that is so what, if the movie is funny? There's no accounting for what's funny, but I found this film very amusing.

I was laughing from the opening, an Itchy and Scratchy cartoon that had Itchy as president, and looking very JFKish. There are some nice laughs from one-liners featuring familiar characters like Ralph Wiggum and Krusty the Clown, and some good visual gags including one that revolved around a wanted poster, and another where when the end is near, churchgoers run into a bar and bar patrons run into the church. Most of the humor centers around the oafishness of Homer Simpson, and I will admit that's not my favorite avenue that this show takes, and it can be too easy at times to make someone incredibly stupid. I think the film would have been even better had they done something like 32 Short Films About Springfield, which featured almost the entire Simpsons universe.

But this is quibbling. I laughed, and I don't laugh out loud out much at movies. In answer to Maggie's first word, ("Sequel?") I say, why not?

Comments

Popular Posts