Midnight Blue Over Mexico

Midnight Blue Over Mexico, by D.S. Land, was a freebie I picked up on my Kindle, and it didn't take me long to read. Therefore, I am not unduly upset that it is thoroughly inept. It's the literary equivalent of one of those movies that is so bad it's good.

The book is a thriller that purports that wireless communication is causing global warming. A pair of young scientists head to Mexico to monitor what they call "drones" (not the unmanned attack rockets) that cause interruptions to the power grid. A woman, June Rise, gets framed as being a terrorist, and ends up a fugitive, trying to prove her innocence.

The plot is implausible, but not completely ridiculous, but unfortunately the writing is at a high-school level. According to his bio, Land is an adult, which is somewhat surprising. There are many howlers, almost one on every page, but I think my favorite is: "They walked to the porch and John unlocked the door with the keys Peter had given him. He pushed the door open, causing it to swing into the foyer." Gee, thanks for letting me know all that!

There are also a lot of typos, including: "I certainly didn't have anything to loose."

Midnight Blue Over Mexico was worth the free cost, but not a penny more.

Comments

Popular Posts