From the Fires

It's time to start taking a listen to Grammy winners, those records that the recording industry think are the best, which almost never are. In the rock music category, the winner was Greta Van Fleet, for their album From the Fires, which contains four new songs as well as the four songs that appear on their debut EP.

I listened to this album twice and I liked it better the second time. But I find it quite ordinary, and without a lick of distinction. The four members, three of whom are brothers from Frankenmuth, Michigan (I've been there--get some fudge while visiting) are clearly classic rock fans, and it's nice that they're trying to keep the music alive, but it comes off boring.

When I first heard this band I thought they were a Led Zeppelin cover band, because the lead singer, Josh Kiszka, sounds so much like Robert Plant, and he doesn't do anything to diminish that resemblance. A guy sounds like he sounds, but he seems to do the impersonation to the hilt.

The songs are the usual classic rock fare, without setting themselves apart from what came before. They do have another album out since then, so perhaps they are finding their sound. Any band that tries to keep rock and roll going is fine by me.

Lyrically, Greta Van Fleet also recall Led Zeppelin. Women are called "mama" or "lady," and there is a song called "Change is Gonna Come," and that change has been coming since Bob Dylan in 1962. So far there have been no songs about The Lord of the Rings.

I wish Greta Van Fleet all the best. I'd suggest they push the boundaries a little bit. I guess they're stuck with the name, which is not what I would have chosen, but if they inspire some other kids to pick up guitars or learn the drums, instead of rapping or DJing, I'm all for them.

Comments

Popular Posts