Bloodletting

One of my favorite bands from the '90s was Concrete Blonde, and their best album, released in 1990, was Bloodletting, when they mixed pulse-pounding rock with a touch of goth. Led by lead singer Johnette Napolitano, with a great set of pipes, she was like a cross between Chrissie Hynde and Siouxsie Sioux.

The opening song, "Bloodletting (The Vampire Song)" sets the tone, as it is clearly inspired by Anne Rice's book Interview With The Vampire (the movie wouldn't come out for four more years). The song is about a vampire in New Orleans, and has horror soundtrack touches.

That's one of the best tracks, but there isn't a bad song here. There are two strong songs titled with just a name: "Caroline," and "Joey," which was a hit and shows off Napolitano's powerful voice. The latter seems to be about a couple who have a falling out, but the singer wants to make amends:

"And if you're somewhere out there
Passed out on the floor...
 Oh... Joey, I'm not angry anymore"

I also like "I Don't Need A Hero," which is a direct refutation of Bonnie Tyler's "I Need A Hero." Napolitano sings:

"And I don't need a hero
I don't need a soldier
I did when I was younger
But now that I am older
I don't need a father
I don't wanna be your mother"

All of the songs were written by Napolitano except for the last, which I consider the best on the album. It's by Andy Prieboy, "Tomorrow, Wendy," and is about a woman dying of AIDS. The production of the song heightens how moving it is.

Bloodletting was Concrete Blonde's third album, and they made two more fine albums in quick succession, but then disbanded. They came back together in the first decade of the twenty-first century for two more albums, but seem to be on permanent hiatus. But it was a blast going back thirty years to listen to this excellent collection. It holds up very well.

Comments

Popular Posts