Rox vs. Sox

It's finally time for the World Series to start. Back when I was a lad, when it was simply AL champ versus NL champ, the World Series was over by mid-October, but as baseball does its best to seem more and more like the NBA, we get a marathon that could last as long as November. The teams have been set: the Boston Red Sox, who came back from a 3-1 deficit to vanquish the Cleveland Indians, and the Colorado Rockies, who wrapped up their ticket over a week ago and have been cooling their heels ever since.


It should be an interesting series. On paper, the Red Sox are a clear favorite, with big-time post-season heroes like Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz, Curt Schilling and Josh Beckett, while the Rockies are full of no-names. But a lot of sports wags are talking about momentum. The Rockies have won 22 of 23, but have had a nine-day layoff, while the Red Sox have won three in a row with their backs against the wall. Momentum is one of those intangible things that clueless sportswriters toss around probably because they can't name more than a few Rockies players (I know I couldn't until the playoffs started). Momentum, it seems to me, is something you have until you don't have it anymore, and as the old saying goes, it's only as strong as your starting pitcher.


The Red Sox starting pitcher for Game One will be Josh Beckett, who in a short career has established himself as one of the great post-season pitchers of all time. If, however, the Rockies can beat him, they will have a huge emotional lift and could well be unstoppable. I think Beckett will win tonight, though, and the Sox will win in six.

As for who I'm rooting for, well, that's always complicated and sometimes I don't know until I watch the game, and sometimes it changes mid-series. I was rooting for the Indians in the ALCS, because they are now the sad sacks of the American League (inheriting that mantle from the Red Sox). I will root the Red Sox vs. the Rockies, though. I have always liked the Red Sox, probably because they are the mortal enemies of the hated Yankees. As for the Rockies, it is a great story but there's something that rankles me about it. Baseball should not be a sport where a team can play middlin' for months and then get hot and win it all, the season is a five-month slog. This shouldn't be basketball or hockey. The Rockies just haven't earned it.

Also, I was troubled by news stories that the Rockies clubhouse was full of super Christians, who had banned rock music and Playboy from the locker room, and led their general manager to declare that the winning streak was divine providence. The fastest way for me to root against a team is for them to suggest that God is on their side. If there is a God (which I don't think there is) surely the exploits of grown men playing a game in tights would be far down the list of His interest. An article in yesterday's New York Times clarified the issue, though, stating that players of all faiths and creeds are welcome on the team. Players of high moral fiber are sought for, and there's nothing wrong with that (this started when a high-paid free agent, Denny Neagle, got kicked off the team after getting busted for soliciting a prostitute). Music of all kinds can be played in the clubhouse (even Black Sabbath?) but there was no clarification on whether Playboy is still contraband.

Comments

  1. "Super Christians." Funny.

    My interest in the MLB playoffs had definitely waned after the Cubs lost (if "waned" can be defined as "completely dissipated"), but now I find myself looking forward to the World Series. There's something about the Series that pulls me in.

    Of course, that typically starts to wane (ahem) about 5 minutes into the Fox broadcast. Man, do I hate Fox's coverage of baseball.

    Anyway, I'll be rooting for the Rockies. Part of that is my natural tendency to root for the AL, and part of it is a vague annoyance with the Red Sox.

    And part of it is that I actually feel happy for the Rockies fans - I remember how crazy they were for the team in the first few years of their existance. While that's fallen off a bit with the Rockies' misfortunes over the past decade, it still feels like there's more to their fandom now than simple bandwagoning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Fox is terrible for baseball. It's hard to imagine who thinks their presentation is good--is it geared toward non-baseball fans? They constantly alienate the real fans while trying to reach out to the non-fan. Jeanne Zelasko should be banished from television. And how about that almost subliminal swoosh of "Transformers" when beginning a replay? Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and it was great to see Yaz. Haven't seen him in ages. Makes me feel old, though, because he was in his prime just as I was becoming interested in baseball.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts