New Jersey--Where You Can't Pump Your Own Gas

I've lived in New Jersey for over thirty years. I've heard the usual cracks when telling people where I live (not where I'm from--the answer to that question is Michigan, for some reason). Yes, New Jersey has some of the ugliest scenery you can imagine, especially on the major thoroughfares, but well over ninety percent is lush and green and could be mistaken for the rolling hills of Virginia. And while I've never personally known anyone in the Mafia (at least I don't think I have) I'm sure the saga of the Sopranos is not complete fantasy.

Very often I hear, especially from people in neighboring states, of the oddity that in New Jersey you can not pump your own gas. Along with Oregon, we are the only people in the country who can not do that, and I'm frequently at a loss to explain why. I had that conversation again today with a co-worker who lives in Maryland, so spent some time online trying to find out why.

Turns out the law was passed way back in 1949, when it might have made some sense. But why in god's name hasn't this law been ashcanned years ago, like laws against buying liquor on Sundays? There seems to be a passionate resistance to it, and it's kind of baffling. There is an organization called the New Jersey Gas Retailers that is deadset against it, and have two arguments, both of which define the word specious. One, it's for safety reasons, and two, it saves jobs.

Safety reasons? Anyone who can not figure out how to use a gas pump has no business operating a vehicle. It's easier than operating a dishwasher. The spokesman for the gas retailers says that people may pump the gas in the wrong hole. What other hole is there? The tailpipe? And as for safety, is there a rash of people going up in flames from dropping a cigarette into a puddle of petrol in the other 48 states? This is infantilizing at its worst.

As for the job issue, well, I suppose that could be true, but how many tears were shed when elevator operators and switchboard operators lost their jobs due to technological advances? Besides, there's a way around that. How about offering both self and full service? Many states do this, and have to by law because of people with disabilities. If you want someone else to pump your gas because it's cold out or you just don't feel like getting out of the car, you can choose full service, but if you'd rather get in and out quickly and have mastered the complex steps required to pump your own gas, you could that too. The price for both should be the same. Just because some people like to be catered to like pashas shouldn't rule out the possibility that those of who want to help ourselves shouldn't be able to.

I would always choose to pump my own. When I'm driving out of state and fill up it's a treat, like getting a substitute teacher who doesn't have a severe set of arcane rules. From my reading, though, neither New Jersey or Oregon are likely to switch, even if it meant lower gas prices. That's just nuts.


Comments

  1. Anonymous10:39 PM

    Ummm...so having my gas pumped for me is being "catered to like pashas?" What's next? Going to a restaurant where I don't fetch my own food? What stunning luxury and extravagance!!!! I am so spoiled!!
    I doubt self serve will lower gas prices. I'm willing to bet that the current price will become the self serve price and a premium will be added for full service to pass along the added cost, just as stations that charge extra for credit purchases do. The only way to prevent this would be to legislate it, and I'm sure that would be an interesting fight.
    As for having someone available to help the disabled, that will probably fall to the cashier, who will only assist when asked (just like the signs you see at most major department stores-if you need help due to disability, ask). There will probably not be a pump reserved for full serve at every station, with someone sitting there waiting for a disabled person or a pasha to pull up.
    I can't prove a disability- while I have two conditions that can cause chronic pain, I don't qualify as permanently disabled,so I can't get a parking placard (I don't want one, by the way). But there are days when it is extremely painful for me to get in and out of the car. If a handicapped plate or placard is required to waive the premium for full serve, I'm screwed.
    I don't mind pumping my own gas-I don't have a problem with it when I travel, and 99% of the time it's no real inconvenience. But on that one day out of a hundred, it's nice to know that I won't be charged extra.
    I would prefer to have the choice, but that preference is conditional.
    Bottom line? I don't trust our legislators to make sure that full serve will be available at the same price, and I don't trust the retailers to rush to lower the price when they fire the folks who man the pumps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats hilarious!! I cant believe it, the thought of someone else putting diesel in my car for me is alien.

    We do however still have some petrol stations over here in the UK who want to fill you up but there are not many.

    But then again the UK is not renowned for its good service and neither does it cater for disabled people well.

    I guess if it was like that here the lazy brit's would still be sitting there waiting for someone to come and fill them up, I hesitate to guess how many they would need in a station with over 30 pumps though....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you do fetch your own food at any restaurant that has a buffet. And if you are in a restaurant with table service you're paying extra for it.

    Many states have gas stations that give you the choice between self and full service. In most cases you're paying extra for full, but by law the disabled pay the same price for full as self.

    All I'm asking is to be able to pump my own gas like one can in 48 other states. The cost isn't the main interest to me (New Jersey has the lowest gas prices in the country, according to a recent study), it's just more convenient to me. Doesn't seem an unreasonable request.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come on, you've seen Zoolander, haven't you? You know how dangerous gas stations can be.

    A serious question: Is is customary to tip the guy after he fills up your tank? Just in case I'm ever traveling in NJ. I would be reluctant to tip at a place where I didn't have a choice to fill it up myself, but it seems like the world has gone tip-crazy these days.

    just as stations that charge extra for credit purchases do

    I don't think stations can do this anymore. It's my understanding that the credit card companies don't allow this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of anyone tipping a pump jockey. I suppose if they clean your windshield and stuff maybe you could, but it's not necessary. I think they make at least minimum wage. I don't mind tipping wait staff (unlike Steve Buscemi in Reservoir Dogs) because they make less than minimum wage (at least that's how I undestand it)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's good. If I had a choice between self and full service, and decided I wanted full, I'd be happy to slip the guy a dollar or two for the service. I'd never do it, but still. It'd be like choosing valet parking over self parking, although I never do that either. But I'd resent pressure to tip when I have no choice, like I resent seeing tip jars out on practically every counter top nowadays.

    So thanks for clearing that up for me. Good to know.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts