The Mid-Summer Classic

Last night a very exciting All-Star game was played. I watched about two innings. These days I can't stay up very late, and my eyelids were already heavy after the second inning, so I turned the set off with no score. I did, however, enjoy the pre-game festivities, even though they dragged on so long it made the game start at nine o'clock.

Baseball, sort of like Hollywood, loves to navel-gaze and bask in nostalgia. Perhaps that's because with both institutions, it always seems like the old days were better. So, as the players were introduced, old-timers who are now in the Hall of Fame were also introduced, ranging from the fairly young guys like Wade Boggs to the ancient Bob Feller. It's interesting to note the demeanor of these guys. Some, like George Brett or Ozzie Smith, seem connected to today's players, and greeted them enthusiastically. Others (most specifically Willie Mays) seem comfortable with being cast as royalty, and Mays didn't even bother shaking hands with either of the current starting center-fielders, he even didn't seem to notice they were there. Also, where were Tom Seaver and Joe Morgan?

Now, I do hate the Yankees as a foe, but I couldn't help but get swept up in the emotion of George Steinbrenner, who looks very ill, being driven around the stadium and then to the mound to deliver balls to the living Yankee Hall of Famers: Yogi Berra, Reggie Jackson, Whitey Ford and Goose Gossage (Goose will be inducted in just about ten days). It was touching to see the affection displayed for the Boss, especially by Yogi, who stayed away from Yankee Stadium for years because of the way Steinbrenner treated him.

After the first pitch, we got the National Anthem by Sheryl Crow (I wonder if Yogi likes her sound?) and then the obligatory show of military might by the flyover of a Stealth bomber. After all that, the game almost feels superfluous.

I watched the highlights of the game this morning. It went fifteen innings and well over four hours. The fun thing about extra-inning all-star games is that the starters are long gone and the key moments are played out by people many haven't heard of. In that way, the torch is passed. I just wish I could have stayed up to watch it.

Comments

  1. I stayed up till the very end. It was frankly an amazing game, in its way. At least two players got gunned down at home from the outfield trying to score, and one of them even looked safe upon the replay. Three times I thought the AL would surely win (all three of Aaron Cook's three inings), only to see them blow their chances each time.

    And of course, hanging over the whole thing was the almost certain fact that a tie was not an option this time around, despite the depletion of both bullpens, something that didn't really occur to Buck or McCarver. Few other things would make me as happy as Fox getting rid of those two, especially Buck, who revels in doom and gloom more than a tabloid photographer at a celebrity funeral. I don't know why a man who seems to dislike baseball has a position as the top baseball broadcaster in the land, but that's Fox for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:44 PM

    I enjoyed the game immensely. It wasn't just a good show, it was pretty good baseball.

    I agree about Buck and McCarver. I know McCarver has a lot of fans, but the charm has been lost on me for years.

    Don't know what Yogi thought of Sheryl Crow, but he said Sarah Jessica Parker was "alright."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the minority, but I like Tim McCarver. The rap on him is that he talks too much and states the obvious, but I enjoy his kind of folksy demeanor. Buck should be banned from television.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't mind so much that McCarver states the obvious - that makes him exactly the same as 90% of TV analysts out there.

    My problem is that a lot of what he says just doesn't make sense. If all one knew about baseball is what they learned watching McCarver broadcasts, one would know very little of use about baseball.

    And yeah, he never shuts up. But I think he'd be tolerable - not good, but tolerable - if he was working with someone better. If all one knew about baseball is what they learned listening to Buck, one would only know that the games are too long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What really amazes me is the continuing presence of Chris Berman. He's one of the main reasons I don't watch the home run derby, and he's like fingernails on a blackboard for me. I was glad Augusta made sure he didn't cover the Masters. What a clown that guy is.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts