The Greatest Olympian Ever?

Last night (or I guess it was this morning, China time) Michael Phelps set the record for most gold medals won by Olympian, man or woman, with 11. You'll get no argument from me that it's a tremendous achievement, and that he is certainly the greatest swimmer of all time. But I have a bone to pick with TV people who cavalierly say that he is "the greatest Olympian ever." Just because he has won more medals than anyone else doesn't mean that he is the greatest Olympian.

Phelps, as a swimmer, gets far more chances to win medals than other athletes. He is in eight events this year, for god's sake. Many other athletes, including decathletes, basketball players, volleyball players, boxers, wrestlers, etc., only have a chance at one medal per Olympics. Now, those are the breaks, but claiming that Phelps is the greatest ever is kind of an insult to people like Carl Lewis, Jesse Owens, or Al Oerter (who won the discus in four straight Olympics). And those are just American names. Phelps is the greatest gatherer of gold medals of all-time, but he's not necessarily the greatest Olympian of all time. I remember when Pete Rose was asked when he was chasing Ty Cobb's record for most hits in a career if he was a better hitter than Cobb. "I don't know if I'm a better hitter than he is," Rose answered, "But I will end up with more hits than him." Nicely said by a man who wasn't exactly known for decorum.

I haven't been been watching too much of the Olympics. I can't operate on too little sleep, so have turned in before Phelps' races. The thrilling relay race, which the U.S. won by an eighth of a second, I saw in replay, as I did gold medals three, four and five. Fortunately he goes for his last two on Friday and Saturday nights, when I can safely stay up and watch.

I haven't gotten excited by too much else. Gymnastics and beach volleyball seem to be the most covered by TV. Gymnastics, while certainly a great display of athleticism, kind of bores me. And beach volleyball? Well, I'm kind of perplexed how the game became as prestigious as it is. I'm sure that's because Americans do it well, and the women play with as little clothing as the laws of society allow. But it just seems kind of dumb to me, as if Frisbee or horseshoes became Olympic events (which may someday happen).

Comments

Popular Posts