The Mountain

Sometimes I learn about new bands by reading about them, and take a flyer and buy their album without hearing any of their songs. I did that with the Heartless Bastards, but by the time I got the album in the mail (ordered for Amazon, natch) I had heard them on the David Letterman Show. I've listened to the album several times now, and each time I like it a little bit more.

The bit I read about them compared the lead singer and songwriter, Erika Wennerstrom, to Chrissie Hynde, and there is that aura of the hard-edged rock chick in her appearance and vocals. She also reminds me some of Karen O. of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Her voice is deep and penetrating, and she really knows how to enunciate the "ou" diphthong.

The songs on The Mountain have the sound of darkness and desperation, though the lyrics have the outgrowth of hope. I like this quatrain from "Could Be So Happy:" "I could be so happy if I just quit being sad/I could be so funny if I just quit being a drag/I could be so sweet if I just quit being sour/I could do all these things oh I have the power." Or this, from "Hold Your Head High:" "I made a lot of choice most have not been wise/But I have s really good friends I've been fortunate to find/They get me through the lonely days when I want to stay inside myself/They get me out of my shell out into the world." Most of the titles of the songs are prosaic and are simply part of the lyrics, except for the intriguingly titled "Witchypoo."

Musically, the Heartless Bastards have a bluesy rock sound with a hint of Appalachia, especially in a couple of late tracks, which utilize mandolin and violin. The aforementioned "Could Be So Happy" has only a strumming guitar backing Wennestrom's vocals. But most of the songs are straight-forward rock and roll numbers. The best song, I think, is the one they wisely performed on Letterman, called "Out to Sea."

Comments

Popular Posts