Newsbabes


Another by-product of unemployment is being home to watch TV all day, and what I usually tune in is cable news. My station of choice is MSNBC, as I only watch Fox News when I'm a captive audience and suffer accordingly, and I find CNN to be arid and corporate. MSNBC, of course, is home to several commentators of a liberal bent, like Keith Olbermann, Rachel Maddow, and Chris Matthews, but during the day it's a fairly standard news outfit, staffed mostly by attractive young women.

From the times I have watched Fox News and CNN, they have the same staffing requirements. The newscasters are all pretty in a certain kind of dignified, country club way, the kind of women you see in pictures on the wedding announcement pages of the New York Times. Since my tastes in women are very catholic, from goth to hippies, the blow-dried newscaster is also a category that appeals to me.

MSNBC has a basic staff during the day that consists of Contessa Brewer, Tamron Hall, Monica Novotny, and Norah O'Donnell (pictured). The token man is David Shuster, and during the afternoon Andrea Mitchell also appears. No disrespect to Mitchell, but she earned her place by reporting skills, not her looks, and I have to wonder what she thinks being surrounded by what looks like refugees from a beauty pageant. Even the correspondents, like White House reporter Savannah Guthrie, Florida correspondent (we hear from her on all Casey Anthony reports) Michelle Kosinski, and entertainment report Courtney Hazlett are lookers. The male reporters are not exceptionally handsome, so there appears to be something of a double standard going on. If I were a woman getting into TV journalism, and were plain or overweight, I would have to think about a different career, maybe radio.

I'm not complaining. The women on MSNBC are all approaching competent. Hall is the weakest, as she usually interrupts her interview subjects with mindless asides. Brewer can also be annoying, as she approaches an issue with one slice of information and hangs onto it like a dog with a bone, but she is also charming in a goofy way and I'm afraid I've developed quite a crush on her. O'Donnell is the glamour queen of the group, probably because of the sexy photo shoot she did for GQ some years ago.

When I get back to work (hopefully soon) and I'm back to waking up early to watch Good Morning, America, I can once again moon over their cute financial reporter, Bianna Golodryga. Sigh!

Comments

Popular Posts