Entourage

Entourage ran for eight seasons on HBO, but until recently I hadn't seen one episode. I've now seen the first season, and after initially feeling like it was a waste of time, I have to admit it grew on me.

Produced by Mark Wahlberg, it's loosely based on his experiences as a young movie star in Hollywood. Vincent Chase (Adrian Grenier), a kid from Queens, has hit it big and has put three of his buddies from home on the payroll. Kevin Connolly is his unofficial manager, the sensible one, who used to be the manager of a pizzeria; Turtle (Jerry Ferrara) is the simpleton, who doesn't really do much of anything but enjoy the perks of his friendship and stay stupid things, which leads to the invariable "Shut the fuck up, Turtle;" and Johnny Drama (Kevin Dillon), Vince's older brother, who once had a decent acting career but now can't get arrested, serves as the cook.

In the first few episodes, I kind of hated these guys, who drove around in a hummer from party to party, oblivious to anything but their own hedonism. Turtle, the most obnoxious of them, has no inner conflict. When told that he wouldn't get laid without Vince, he responds, "Do I give a fuck?" These guys live in their own bubble, separated from reality, spending money like it was water, wafting in a cloud of cannabis and pussy.

But they kind of grew on me. I especially like Dillon as the failed star, who sees his younger brother far eclipse him in stardom. He is a sweet guy, but you can see the terror in his eyes as he realizes he's just a hanger-on, not the star. I've met guys like this--I once met a guy who had bit parts in movies but walked around in a leather jacket like he was a megastar. I have no doubt that this is the way things are.

The other major character in the show is Vince's manager, played with ferocity by Jeremy Piven. Supposedly modeled on Ari Emanuel (Rahm's brother) he's a force of nature, the kind of character that is seen a lot in TV and movies and seems improbable, but is apparently dead on. He's got a gifted vocabulary, and would cut out his mother's heart if it helped his client.

The first season covers the period from when Vince's new film has come out to him choosing his next film, which turns out to be an indie. What's a little disconcerting is that we don't see Vince doing any work. Grenier plays him as a kind of zen figure, never angry, just bobbing along on life's lucky current. He moves from woman to woman the way most of us dream of when we were teenagers (or still do).

The show also features cameos by a variety of performers, ranging from Sarah Silverman to Larry David to Scarlett Johannson. Val Kilmer is pretty funny as a pot grower, while Gary Busey plays himself to great effect.

I'd like to think this is an accurate view of life at the top in Hollywood, though it makes me fucking envious that it's not me. I think I'll take a look at future seasons.

Comments

Popular Posts