Despicable Me 2

The second of the nominees for the Best Animated Film Oscar is Despicable Me 2, which is something of an oddity since the first Despicable Me was not nominated. I haven't seen that film, but I think I knew enough about it that I was able to watch this without any confusion.

Gru, (Steve Carell) the former super-villain, is now happily domesticated, caring for three adorable girls and running a jam and jelly business. But a new villain, who has stolen a formula that turns animals into ravenous beasts, is on the scene, and a spy agency enlists him for his help. He is teamed with a goofy partner (voiced by Kristin Wiig), and they know that the perpetrator is a store-owner in a large shopping mall.

Like I said, I haven't seen the original, but I kind of liked this. It has an amiable charm to it. I think the best thing about it is the minions, little yellow creatures that are like Oompa-Loompas, with squeaky high-pitched voices and ever-present goggles. I know they have been a merchandising hit, and are getting their own film (and there will be a Despicable Me 3).

Although certainly made for children (there are plenty of fart jokes), the script, by Cinco Paul and Ken Daurio, has plenty of winks to the adults in the audience. I saw references to Carmen Miranda, the Village People, and Love Boat's bartender.

So, all in all, not a bad film to get dragged to by the kids. I watched it, and I don't have any kids.

Comments

Popular Posts