Hall & Oates

It's that time of year when I listen to work of the newest inductees to the Rock and Hall of Fame. Some of them I'm quite familiar with, and have a lot of their music, others I know of but don't own any music.

The latter would include Daryl Hall and John Oates, who are perhaps the most controversial inductees (or maybe it's Kiss). They are unquestionably successful, the highest selling vocal duo in history (surpassing The Everly Brothers, whom I will discuss next week). They were hit machines in the '80s, with a total of 34 top-40 hits, six of which went to number one. But I think it's safe to say they are not favorites of the cognoscenti.

The two met in Philadelphia during a battle of the bands, when they both ended up in the same service elevator after gang-related gunfire broke out. They were students at Temple University, and shared interests in music. What kind of music they would make took some time, though. Their first album, Abandoned Luncheonette, was a kind of indie-rock folk record. Amazingly, our family had that album, as my father bought it after it was recommended to him. It has one of their best tunes, the epic break-up song, "She's Gone," which wasn't a hit until a re-release.

Over time they would settle into a "rock and soul" hybrid that would serve them well. And indeed, they had some catchy hits, like "Rich Girl," "Kiss on My List," "Private Eyes," "You Make My Dreams," and their biggest smash, "Maneater." All of these were written by the men themselves (with occasional input by Hall's girlfriend, Sara Allen, and her sister Jenna). My favorite of their songs is "Sara Smile," with a fantastic vocal interpretation by Hall.

But their are 37 songs on this "essential" recording, and much of it is mediocre, MOR stuff. This is the kind of recording that programmable CD players was made for.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inspires lots of arguments. Is it about art, commerce, or both? I think Hall & Oates deserve being in for their success alone, but I can't deny that they have about a dozen songs that are keepers. But a lot of their material is not.

Comments

Popular Posts