Puddles Pity Party

I've spent my lazy Sunday watching videos by Puddles Pity Party, a six-foot eight clown who has the voice of an angel. I started thinking I would just watch a few, but I ended up watching more than twenty, and there's plenty more where that came from.

Like my most people I suspect I first became aware of Puddles from his appearance on America's Got Talent. I don't watch the show, so it must have popped up on Facebook. As I have a fascination with clowns I clicked on it. He played in Las Vegas last summer but I didn't get a chance to see it. I hope I get more chances.

Puddles' real name is Mike Grier, who has appeared sans greasepaint, but he had a great idea doing the sad clown bit. "You gotta have a gimmick," as the song goes, and being a silent clown (he does not talk, only sings) is a great one.

Puddles has a rich baritone that sends chills down your spine. He has a way of searching out the emotion of the song and finding hidden depths. Certain songs are much more natural for him than others--he performed on AGT with Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah," a natural. But he covers songs from all over the spectrum: Pink Floyd, The Pixies, Roger Miller, Chemical Romance, Bonnie Tyler. He even does "My Heart Will Go On." He also does what he calls "Smoosh-ups," which combine two songs. He does this a few times with "Let It Go," pairing it with Styx's "Come Sail Away" and Queen's "Under Pressure."

I think his most brilliants smoosh-up is taking the tune from "Pinball Wizard" and singing the lyrics to "Folsom Prison Blues," and then vice-versa.

There doesn't seem to be an album recording by Puddles, just some singles for download. I don't know if the effect would be the same just listening to him. The appearance of a broken-hearted clown increases the pathos, and without that it just might not be the same.

Do yourself a favor and check out his YouTube channel. Some of his videos will reduce you to tears.

Comments

Popular Posts