Tell Me How You Really Feel

Three years ago I purchased and enjoyed very much the debut album by Courtney Barnett, Sometimes I Sit and Think and Sometimes I Just Sit, but didn't get a chance to write about it. Her second album, Tell Me How You Really Feel, came out this summer, and while not as stunning as her debut, it's still a worthwhile listen.

Barnett straddles many categories of music. She has a bit of folkie in her, but also garage rock. The songs are mostly upbeat, but it does start off with a song called "Hopelessness," which seems to indicate that all is not well. There is also an interesting song called "I Am Not Your Mother, I I Am Not Your Bitch." But the award for best title on this record goes to "Crippling Self-Doubt and a General Lack of Confidence."

"Your opinion means a lot
Well, tell me what's the use
I never feel as stupid as when I'm around you
And indecision rots
Like a bag of last week's meat
And I guess it's hard to keep everybody happy"

Barnett's singing style has been described as deadpan--it's just a tick above speaking. Still, it's pleasant, and very mellifluous on "City Looks Pretty," though the lyric doesn't match the loveliness of the voice:

"The city looks pretty when you been indoors
For 23 days I've ignored all your phone calls
Everyone's waiting when you get back home
They don't know where you been, why you gone so long
Friends treat you like a stranger and
Strangers treat you like their best friend, oh well
Spare a thought for the ones that came before
All in a daze bending backwards to reach your goal"

A theme of anger runs through the record, such as this lyric from "Charity"

"You must be having so much fun
Everything's amazing
You're so subservient I make myself sick
Are you listening?"

Listening to the music without paying attention to the words is a wholly different experience than paying attention to the words. It's like the executioner whistling a happy tune as he goes about his work.

Barnett, an Australian, seems to have a bright future. I'd love to see her in concert, as there is an energy to her performance on record. I will certainly pay attention to upcoming releases.

Comments

Popular Posts