Colors

Years ago American Bandstand had a segment called "Rate-a-Record," where two teenagers were asked to give their opinions on a new song and give it a numerical rating. The joke was that they invariably commented, "It's got a good beat and you can dance to it."

I thought of that while listening to Beck's album Colors, which won the Grammy for Best Alternative Album. Beck has been something of a chimera throughout his career--on his Wikipedia page, under genres, it lists several: Alternative rock, anti-folk, art-pop, Americana, and alternative hip-hop, whatever those are. For Colors, it lists pop, dance-rock, hip hop, experimental pop, and pop-rock. Clearly, Beck is difficult to define.

But the songs on Colors do have a good beat and are easy to dance to. I do not dance, so the ability to dance to a song means nothing to me (this is why genres like techno and house hold no appeal to me) but listening to Colors did prompt me to tap my feet. They are, to put it simply, groovy songs.

It's only after a few listens does it become apparent that Beck also has something to say. On "No Distractions, " it's easy to hear "Pull you to the left, pull you to the right, pull you in all directions," which would seem to be dancing words, but also in there is:

"A million times, a million thoughts
I really don't know what I want
But then I see you, now I'm almost lost
And everything that I know went wrong
And if it means that it's done and I'm a fool
But I don't want to forget what we've been through
Just to save us both from what we knew
Losing our way, sometimes, it's cruel"

There's a lot of pain on this record, such as on "Dear Life:"

"You sang your swan song to the dogs
'Cause they made mincemeat of the dreams you hung your hopes on
So you cut it out, well your sins cost
While money talks to your conscience, looking like a fool for love"

The theme on this album seems to be that when all is dark, music can be a balm. On "Up All Night" Beck sings:

"Now I'm feeling so far away
I see the colors and all the kids going home
Night is crawling into the day I hear my voice ringing
The summertime's singing
Just wanna stay up all night with you
Just wanna stay up all night with you
There's nothing that I wouldn't rather do
Just wanna stay up all night with you"

Somehow this hearkens back to me to George Harrison of the Beatles singing "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You." Sometimes it's the simple things that get us through the day, or night.

While I wouldn't call myself a Beck fan, when I have listened to his work I've been pleased. Colors has a good beat and is easy to dance to, but it is also thought provoking.

Comments

Popular Posts