The Lincoln Lawyer



The Lincoln Laywer, by Michael Connelly, has nothing to do with Honest Abe. Instead, it is a legal thriller involving a defense attorney who operates out of the back of a Lincoln Town Car. He handles mostly guilty clients, getting them off on legal technicalities or creating just enough shadow of a doubt, or he gets them the best deal he can. He's the kind of lawyer that cops hate, but anyone with a knowledge of our justice system knows he's important, because everyone is entitled to a defense.

This is the latest book in the list of Stephen King's top books of 2005 that I'm reading. I liked it, particularly in the second half, when Connelly's main character, Mickey Haller, is drawn into a web of deceit by his client. There are some nice twists and legal high-wire maneuvers, and from what I know it has a ring of authenticity, although I'm not positive, particularly on discovery issues. A good legal thriller is to be savored, especially because there are a lot of bad ones.

Comments

  1. Hey, nice! Didn't know you'd started a blog. Got to tell us these things.

    So Lincoln Lawyer is worth reading? Good. Was planning on getting it this summer. Need some reads that are easy to dip into when I take the train to work, and the paperback should be out by then.

    I'm guessing that you, as I, take metacritics advice. So others to read should be Beasts of No Nation, and those few of Pelecanos I haven't read yet. Was transfixed by Right As Rain and Hell To Pay. After that I'll probably start reading Walter Mosley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I give a look to Metacritic, but don't rely on it too much. I got a gift certificate to Amazon for Christmas, just at the time that Stephen King's top ten list came out in Entertainment Weekly. I bought eight of them (used) using my certificate (I didn't buy the Harry Potter book, as I need to catch up with those, or the A.M. Holmes book which hasn't been published yet).

    I've read all but two now. Up next are Saturday, by Ian McEwan, and Cast Histories, by Kate Atkinson. So far it's a mixed bag. Some of the books seemed a little thin, like the Hot Kid and Mad Cook of Pymatuning. I also wasn't bowled over by Cormac McCarthy's No Country for Old Men. I did like Drama City by Pelecanos very much. Very cinematic.

    I'm still new at this blog thing, deciding how much to reveal of myself (I'm a weird guy). I'm inching forward making it known to others. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it would be no fun to read if you were normal.

    So now you're bookmarked.

    Drama City was good too? All these paperbacks are gonna burn a hole in my bank account.

    Glad that you liked Vendetta as well. I'm definitely seeing that one again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts