Princeton season coming to close


The Princeton women's ice hockey season is nearing the end. The Tigers, who are a peculiar obsession of mine, went to the ECAC finals for the first time in three years. I would have like to have gone, but it was in Canton, NY, a seven or eight hour drive, and besides I didn't want to take another weekend off from the movie theater. This decision spared me some heartbreak, as Princeton lost a game to Brown, 1-0, when they outshot the opposition by a 4-1 margin.

Next up is the NCAA semis, a first for Princeton. They will play at Minnesota, again ruling out my attendance. I doubt they will win, but it's possible.

This is the sixth year I've watched these kids. It all started in November 2000, when I attended a game on a lark. Something about it hooked me, and I have missed only two home games since then (and none in the last three seasons). It's kind of a weird thing, because I've never been a particularly big hockey fan (I still don't know all of the intricacies of the game, but I learn more all the time). I suppose it's a mixture of my interest in sports combined with a soupcon of sex--the girls are college age, after all, and more attractive than one might expect. The past few years I've gotten to know them through my association with USCHO.


My favorite player this year was Sarah Butsch, who is graduating. A couple of years ago, during an autograph signing, she spoke to me in a manner I found refreshing, recognizing that the fans are important. She also plays a hell-bent style that is a joy to watch. She didn't miss one game in her college career, and had a ton of clutch goals, including one last week against Colgate to win the first round of the playoffs.




My new favorite player is Mariesa Mason. She didn't play much this year, but she went out of her way in kindness this year, even going so far as to give me a Christmas card and present. I hope she gets to play a lot next year.



So, congratulations to the Tigers for there best season ever (21 wins) and I hope you do well in Minnesota!

Comments

  1. Ran into Heather Jackson, captain of the Tigers, last night. She was seeing a movie, and I was working in box office. I hid my shame at my lowly station in life, and asked her about the team's upcoming trip to Minnesota. She said they're flying out on Wednesday. The game is on Friday night. Bon Chance, Tigers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the season is now over. The Tigers lost to Minnesota, 4-0, in a game that by all reports was much closer than the score indicated. The Tigers end up being shutout in two straight games, the only two times they were shut out all year. Butsch's goal against Colgate turned out to be their last of the year. It was a great season, nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts