Remembering Madge

On January 25th of this year, my great-aunt, Madge Manning, passed away at the age of 87. She was my paternal grandmother's sister. Because she never married or had children, she was like an extra grandmother. When I was a kid she worked as a secretary for the legal department at Ford Motor Company, and lived with my great-grandparents in Dearborn, Michigan. After my grandmother was widowed, she and Madge were roomies, and lived together for 29 years. My grandmother is aged 91 and is still in pretty good health.

Madge was, as some might say, a hoot. She had a very caustic sense of humor, and loved to judge people. She also played favorites. My father, being the oldest, was a favorite of hers, and I, being the oldest, was also a favorite. Of course, I spent more time witht them than my brother and sisters. I tried to visit at least once a year, and sat with them on the porch at the house on North Martha, or in the living room of their condo, and listened to the same old stories over and over again. As they got older the visits were more difficult to endure, as their hearing went and we would shout over the blasting TV. But I enjoyed time with them, and they clearly enjoyed my visits.

When Madge died, and I went to Dearborn for the funeral, I wondered if she was satisfied with her life. Did she regret not having a family of her own? Who knows?

As she lay on her deathbed, my father told me that I was the beneficiary of a life insurance policy. That check came this week, and I'm waiting for it to clear. Little did she know, but that little act of kindness is going to really change my life. I have already given notice at the movie theater, so I will now have only one job for the first time in a year. I will also be in the black in my checking account for the first time since I can't remember. I can actually pay bills when they come in, and not live paycheck to paycheck. I still have debt, so I can't have a wild spending spree, but this money will let me breathe a little.

And so, Madge, wherever you are, I thank you.

Comments

Popular Posts