Welcome, Lily


I finally have a niece. Lily Teresa was born on July 24th to my brother and sister-in-law. It is their first child. I do have seven nephews, ranging in age from almost 12 to twenty months. It will be quite a novelty to deal with a female child in the family. I'm tempted to say that after years of prowling the "boy" aisles at toy stores for cars, trucks, and weapons of mass destruction, I can now enter those aisles that are dominated by Barbie dolls, pink ponies, and lots of sparkle, but that would be reinforcing gender stereotypes. Lily might turn out to be a tomboy.

Of the four of us (my brother and two sisters), I am the only one without kids, and I'm okay with that. I have always taken the attitude that if I ever got married, I would bend to the will of the woman as to whether children would be happening. If she didn't want them, fine, if she did, fine also. I can barely take care of myself, so raising a child is not something I would rush into. Given my age, it is possible I would hook up with a woman who already has children, which would be a whole other kettle of fish. Most likely, though, is that I'm the perpetual bachelor uncle. It's a role I'm entirely comfortable playing.

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:00 PM

    Welcome to Lily! I love shopping for both boys and girls. Now that my nieces are grown, I am spoiling the children of my friends. I missed buying infant and toddler clothes. One highlight of recent weeks: I gave my friend's son Liam a Fisher Price Bubble Mower. And I can't wait to give Dan's son Benjamin a toy rocket when he gets old enough to play with it.

    Don't worry about stereotypes. With all of those male cousins, Lily will have lots of exposure to Tonka Trucks and Hot Wheels. I had equal interest in Dawn Dolls and Johnny Lightning racers when I was little.

    Enjoy! The greatest joy in my life is being Aunt Lora.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts