Viva Las Vegas


My thoughts return me to Las Vegas. I thought I was done, but in the words of Michael Corleone, who knew something about Vegas, "Just when I was thought I was out, they pull me back in."

I have been fascinated with Vegas for years now. Actually, my interest has two heads--Vegas, and the surrounding desert, particularly the Area 51 stuff. Area 51 is part of the Nellis Air Force Base, and is so secret that there are rumors of all kinds of things going on there, especially dealing with UFOs and aliens. I wrote a screenplay about it called The Black Mailbox.

What I'd like to do now is revisit that topic, reworking that script using some of the same characters, but this time in a romantic comedy (albeit a black comedy) about people who live in Las Vegas. I have a friend who lives there, and it interests me to wonder what life is like in such a bizarre place.

I visited Vegas for the first and only time in 2002, and did the basic things (and I took the Area 51 tour, which involved visiting the famous Black Mailbox, although it is now painted white). I'd like go back, and it looks like next Easter will be the time. It coincides with Viva Las Vegas, a rockabilly convention that looks like fun. I'd also like to hit places that tourists don't go.

Comments

Popular Posts