Boston Weekend

The Princeton women's hockey season opened in Boston on Friday, so I planned a trip around it. Headed up on Friday and, after a short delay after a flat tire on the New York State Thruway, I arrived in time to see the second half of the game. All the scoring took place before I got there, and the game ended in a 2-2 tie. I did watch the third period with my best buddy from the team, Mariesa Mason, who was the odd person out (the team can only dress 21 players--18 skaters and 3 goalies, and since Princeton is carrying 22 players on the roster, one player has to sit each game).

The next day my friend Lora, who accompanied me on the trip, joined me for a tour of Fenway Park. I'd never been there before, and I couldn't take my eyes off it as we walked around it. It's a beautiful structure, and getting to see the inside of it was terrific. The tour takes you to the press box, to the swanky luxury box areas, and of course the seats on top of the Green Monster. Time very well spent.



The next stop was the John F. Kennedy Library and Museum (pictured above). I've now been to two presidential libraries (Nixon's is the other one). They both follow roughly the same template--exhibits follow a time-line, dealing mainly with their time in public office, especially the presidency. Perhaps most impressive about this one is the location--a spit of land jutting into Boston harbor. As it was a sun-drenched day (though nippy) it was quite a sight.

The day concluded with another Princeton hockey game, this time at Quinnipiac College, and it had a happy ending, with a 6-3 Princeton win, but there was a depressing result in game one of the World Series, as the Tigers finally had a bad game after winning seven post-season games in a row. But, as of this writing, Kenny Rogers had righted the ship with a win last night, so it's now a best-of-five. There is still hope!

Comments

Popular Posts