Maggiebaby

It seems that every other movie I've seen lately features Maggie Gyllenhaal, and that's alright with me, as I've learned that she is a wonderfully interesting actress. I suppose I first experienced her talent in a big way, the 2002 film Secretary, which I hold near and dear to my heart. I love this film in many ways, particularly because it treats those who like S&M not as freaks but as people capable of having loving relationships, and Gyllenhaal's performance was essential to that response. In fact, I thought hers was the best female performance of that year.

Later that year she had a small part in the brilliant Adaptation, in what would become sort of a typecasting for her: the quirkily beautiful girlfriend. She would play this part again in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind and Stranger Than Fiction. In the latter film, I don't think the relationship between her anarchic baker and the straitlaced IRS agent, Will Ferrell, ever completely works, but its enjoyable to watch them try. In Happy Ending she was a scheming ne'er-do-well, who seduces a clueless Tom Arnold, and again she was fascinating to watch. She also showed off a great singing voice in this film. I'd buy an album if she made one.

Just last week I saw Monster House, in which she had a voice performance as a teenage babysitter, and last night I saw her in Sherrybaby, where she is scarily good as a recoving drug addict on parole trying to reconnect with a small daughter. What makes this film interesting is that Sherry is not lovable, and continually makes wrong decisions. She uses her looks to get what she wants, and has a huge chip on her shoulder. But at the end you can't help pulling for her.

Gyllenhaal is not what is called conventionally beautiful, but she has the kind of round, welcoming facial features that I'm sure have made many male viewers' hearts go pitter-pat. She has the kind of beauty that seems accessible to nerds, geeks and spazzes everywhere. Of course, she's cemented her indie film queen status by marrying indie film prince Peter Sarsgaard, and the couple now have a child, as well as having more "A"s in their name than anyone is entitled to.

Comments

Popular Posts