Brick

I have to admire writer and director Rian Johnson. He was a film school grad with no connections who had the audacious idea to set a hard-boiled detective story in a high school, and then scraped together the financing so that the movie was made, his vision intact. Therefore it is with no pleasure that I found his film at times painful to watch. It just didn't work for me.

Johnson, inspired by the works (and the film adaptations) of writers like Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler, set out to make a noir film, but didn't want to set it fifty years ago, with men wearing fedoras and sitting behind desks in private eye offices. As he rightly notes, this has become fodder for parody. So he set his film Brick in a contemporary high school, but he kept the language of noir. This is akin to a modern-dress production of Shakespeare, which can work. The big difference--Shakespeare is timeless poetry, the language of noir (particularly in Johnson's hands) is not, and instantly dated.

I think this film could have worked had the language been updated. Hearing high school kids refer to cops as "bulls," and other cliches from the forties, just made me think of Bogart's line in The Maltese Falcon, "The cheaper the hood the gaudier the patter." He was referring to Elisha Cook, Jr. as Wilmer, a kid acting all grown up, which is what Brick is in spades. Having such young actors spout noir patter, no matter the skill of the actors, is somewhat like watching Bugsy Malone, and is unintentionally funny.

There are some good actors here. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is our hero, and coupling this film with Mysterious Skin, he has completely left behind his sit-com roots. Nora Zehetner is the femme fatale in the piece, and she looks like the offspring of Alicia Silverstone and Audrey Tatou, and does her best to keep her role from careening into parody. Less successful is Lukas Haas as The Pin, the local drug dealer, who is forced to wear a cape, carry a cane, and wear orthopedic shoes. Talk about an uphill climb. Emily DeRavin, who is now playing Claire on Lost, is the girl who gets into trouble and sets the plot in motion.

So, great marks for originality for Brick, but the execution was faulty. I will still be interested in whatever Johnson does next.

Comments

  1. Man, I disagree about this too. Guess I'm in that mood.

    The thing I think you missed (or maybe I was just reading it into it) is that it's as much making fun of itself as it's an homage and reinvention of the genre. If you found that the actors were veering close to parody, then that was probably the case, intendedly so.

    The old noirs are pretty silly if taken out of the context they exist in, sometimes even in that context, and since this one is, silliness is inevitable, and Brick embraced that. It was funny, poignant, surreal, cute, at the same time it was menacing, and somehow managed it also managed to be heartbreaking and tragic. Can you tell I loved it? In hindsight I think it was my favorite film of 2006. Actors, all excellent. It had it's flaws, but those were more to do with plot and structure than anything, and I'm not sure how it would have worked without those flaws, so love it despite those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you listen to the director's commentary? He explicitly said he was not interested in making a parody. To me the film was deadly serious.

    I had heard good reviews of this, but then saw that Entertainment Weekly had listed it in the worst 10 of the year, and I thought that must be harsh, but I agree more with them. I was ready to turn this off after about ten minutes but stuck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I don't own a tv, no, have not heard the commentary.

    And, hey, I disagree with him too. No biggie. Artists not being best judges of their own work, and so on.

    Sooo... let me get this straight, you hated the film, ready to turn it off after about ten minutes, yet still stuck around to listen to the directors commentary? What?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Nick, you can listen to commentary on a computer if you're watching the DVD....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to see (hear?) if the director would talk about where he got the idea, what his vision was, etc. He obliged me by covering that in the first fifteen minutes or so. Then I shut it off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, but I don't think it's out on dvd here yet. No, I saw it at the cinema.

    Anyway, I sort of dig that you and me (and the director) don't agree on the film. Even if, of course, it's too bad you didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I did like it. I wanted to, because I like the audaciousness of the idea.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts