New Magnetic Wonder

I've read about the Elephant 6 collective for years, but aside from one Neutral Milk Hotel CD, haven't heard much of their music. A week or so ago I picked up The Apples in Stereo's new disc, called New Magnetic Wonder, and it's terrific. I love sixties pyschedelic music, so the idea that a group of bands are recreating that sound, with updated technology, is something I can sink my teeth into.

New Magnetic Wonder is an incredibly sunny record. It is very reminiscent of ELO, not so much in the instrumentation (Apples in Stereo don't use strings) but in the vocals. In some of the songs the multi-layered background vocals sound as if they were lifted straight from "Out of the Blue." They also sound a bit like Fountains of Wayne, another band that harkens back to the jangly sound of the sixties. This is true particularly on a song called "Radiation," which led me to think of FOW's "Radiation Vibe."

Several of the songs deal with sources of energy. In addition to "Radiation," there is a song called simply, "Energy," plus a multi-part song called "Beautiful Machine." The theme of the record seems to embrace all forms of energy, whether from within or from technology.

Most of the vocals are by Robert Schneider, who has written much of the music. Two songs are written and sung by the drummer, Hilarie Sidney (who I have read has since left the band). I liked both of her songs, especially "Sunndal Song." Schneider's stuff is very catchy, and could pass for Top 40 songs from about 1970. "Same Old Drag" and "7 Stars" are among my favorites. Schneider's voice is bit whiny, but that's a small matter.

New Magnetic Wonder is dedicated to Syd Barrett, the late Pink Floyd co-founder. I think this record serves his legacy well.

Comments

Popular Posts