Halloween

So it's Halloween, but I hardly notice it. I don't work in one of those offices where people dress up, and I won't be home tonight for the trick-or-treaters, so this day is just like any other for me.

There was a time when Halloween was meaningful, mostly as a child (I think most holidays are for children). I was never really, really into it, not like Christmas, but over the years I have grown to admire the macabre aspects of it. When I think back, I can only remember a couple of the costumes I wore--when I was about ten my parents wrapped me in ACE bandages so I could be a mummy, but by the time I was done trick-or-treating most of the bandages had unraveled. The last time I went I was probably about twelve, and tried to do a home-made Frankenstein monster but one person thought I looked like an accident victim. When I ask other people what age they stopped going door to door, a lot of them cite older ages. I guess I just wasn't that into candy.

The other night I watched a program on the History Channel about the origins of Halloween. Of course, as most Western holidays did, it started as a pagan ritual called Samhain, which was the Celtic festival of the harvest. This merged with a Roman festival called Pomona, and as the Christians converted Europe they reconfigured this celebration as All Saints' Day on November 1 (also known as All Hallow's Day, so technically October 31st is All Hallow's Eve). In some cultures, particularly Mexico, this transformed into the Day of the Dead. All of that merges into the traditions that mark Halloween today, such as offering gifts to the spirits (trick or treating), celebrating the harvest (bobbing for apples), and the notion that at this particular time the spirits of the dead are walking among us.

That's all very interesting, but it doesn't move me to bother with any decorations or what-not. Some people have a lot more fun with holidays, but not me.

On a more personal note, the horrid economy has taken another victim, and it's me. After eight years, I have been laid off from my job. If anyone out there is reading this blog and has been dazzled to the point where they have a paying gig just waiting for me, please contact me (you can click on my email in my profile).

Comments

Popular Posts