Bronies

My girlfriend's son is 13 years old. He is typical in many ways--he loves Call of Duty, has a fascination with zombies, but he is also a fan of My Little Pony. My girlfriend was concerned about this, but she's come to accept it. He may well be a Brony.

I've never seen My Little Pony, which is a 30-year-old cartoon show that was designed to sell toys to little girls. But it has somehow managed to attract an audience of older boys and men, who call themselves Bronies. This initially sounds creepy, like Plushies, those guys who dress up like stuffed animals and have sex. One might imagine that these guys are gay, or pedophiles, (and certainly some are probably gay) but I've done some research and I'm kind of impressed that men would embrace something like this which is otherwise embarrassing.

Apparently the show, which is now called My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic is not completely geared toward young girls any more. To take their word for it, it's well written, funny, and enjoyable for everyone of all ages. They like it to the extent that there are actually conventions, called Bronycon. I have to believe that the show isn't that good, but is a way for these boys and men to project their rejection from the cliches of manhood. It not only takes bravery to come out as a Brony, but a rebellious streak as well.

I believe my girlfriend's son does not wear My Little Pony stuff to school: that would be social suicide. But I would never want him to turn against something he likes because others think it's not cool. Let your freak flag fly, Bronies!

Comments

Popular Posts