Modern Times


We continue to live in an era of renaissance for Bob Dylan, who arguably is the most important American poet of the second half of the twentieth century (I know many snobbish poetry professors will sniff that lyrics are not poetry, but the hell with them). After the mid-seventies, just when I was becoming aware of him, Dylan went into a long period of irrelevancy, but came back into prominence in the late nineties with the first of a trio of records that has put him back on the charts and won him critical accolades and even Grammys. Modern Times, released this fall, is the third record in this trio, and I picked it up a week or two ago.

While the days of Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde are long gone, this record is still a pleasure to listen to. It begins with a shit-kicking roadhouse number called Thunder on the Mountain, which inexplicably references Alicia Keys:

I was thinkin' 'bout Alicia Keys, couldn't keep from crying
When she was born in Hell's Kitchen, I was living down the line
I'm wondering where in the world Alicia Keys could be
I been looking for her even clear through Tennessee

There are also some bluesy ballads and forgettable love songs, but the transcendant Dylan kicks in on the eighth track, Nettie Moore. The song has a drum beat that practically winks at the listener, letting us know we're in for one of his wry, whimsical songs that contains his usual cryptic non-sequitors that still manage to say something profound:

I'm the oldest son of a crazy man,
I'm in a cowboy band
Got a pile of sins to pay for and I ain't got time to hide
I'd walk through a blazing fire, baby, if I knew you was on the other side

The album ends with an eight-minute plus dirge called Ain't Talkin', which could scare you if you listen with the lights out. In some ways it's reminiscent of A Hard Rain's Gone A-Fall, but instead of dazzling displays of language, this one is about silences:

As I walked out tonight in the mystic garden
The wounded flowers were dangling from the vine
I was passing by yon cool crystal fountain
Someone hit me from behind

Ain't talkin', just walkin'
Through this weary world of woe
Heart burnin', still yearnin'
No one on earth would ever know

With this trilogy (the first two records are Time Out of Mind and Love and Theft) and Martin Scorsese's brilliant documentary about Dylan's early years, No Direction Home, Dylan is one again front and center on the music scene, where he belongs, and I hope he's attracting a whole new generation of fans.

Comments

  1. Dylan is one again front and center on the music scene, where he belongs, and I hope he's attracting a whole new generation of fans.

    I'm sorry to be saying this, but no.

    I've listened through most of Bob Dylan's 'great albums' - even own one or two of them (Blonde on Blonde, The Times They Are A-Changin') - and I really respect the artist, love some of his songs, but as far as this god-like fawning he triggers in men born during the 50s and 60s, I just can't feel it. He may be poet laureate to a whole generation of men, but not mine. The questions he raised then, and the ones he raises today, just don't apply to most people I know.

    This may be precisely the kind of thing that makes older generations frown upon the younger ones, but at least I tried to exlain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I think arguing about musical taste is pointless. It's like arguing about taste in food. I don't like bananas, and no amount of intellectual debate is going to change my mind, so I'm not going to try to talk you into liking Dylan, since you made a sincere effort to try. I don't like rap or hip-hop, mainly because it references a culture I don't know anything about, nor do I want to know. But have you at least seen No Direction Home? I think it does a great job of putting the viewer into the time period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I think arguing about musical taste is pointless.

    Not so much the music, which I admittedly usually like, as the songs which I don't get. Dylan wouldn't have the status he has if it weren't for those lyrics most of his fans quote ad infinitum, right?

    But have you at least seen No Direction Home? I think it does a great job of putting the viewer into the time period.

    No, haven't seen it, but you're right, I should make an effort of finding it. It is Scorsese. But I'd really like to get to his Woodstock thing first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, his lyrics are very cryptic, but I find them compelling nonetheless. I mean, Like a Rolling Stone, A Hard Rain's Gone A-Fall, It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) and Visions of Johanna are almost completely incomprehensible, but I could listen to them over and over again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts