Mystic Pizza

This weekend I'm off on another hockey road trip, this time to Brown University in Providence and Yale University in New Haven. The Brown game is on Saturday, so I'll be staying at a B&B a few blocks from the school. The neighborhood Brown is in is a very nice one, so this way I'll be able to hang out in the area rather than decamping to a motel off the Interstate.

For the few hours I have to kill on Sunday before the Yale game I thought I'd stop by Mystic, Connecticut, which I've never been to before. It seems like a nice place to walk around (let's hope it doesn't rain) and of course, I'll have to have lunch at Mystic Pizza, which is a real place that inspired a film that launched the career of Julia Roberts (though I always thought Annabeth Gish was prettier).



As for the team, the Princeton Tigers are doing well. Last weekend they had a homestand against the teams from the North Country, St. Lawrence and Clarkson. They hadn't beaten St. Lawrence, ranked No. 3, at home since 1999, but a scoring barrage led to a 6-5 win. Goalie Kristen Young had 46 saves, and hung on for dear life during the third period, with a 6-3 lead. Penalty after penalty was called against the Tigers, and the Saints scored two goals, but when all was said and done the victory was Princeton's.

The next day against Clarkson the story was defense, as it ended in a 1-1 tie. Neither team could get much of an offense going. Again, Young was terrific in goal. Coming into this season, the goaltending was the big question mark, as senior Roxanne Gaudiel, who had started almost every game for the last two years, graduated. Young has done quite well for someone with very little experience, and I only expect her to get better.

Comments

Popular Posts