Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer

It had been a long time since I saw Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, the 1964 Rankin-Bass production that is much a part of Christmas for Americans as tinsel and eggnog. Of course it's so ingrained in me that I knew it practically by heart, and even at my advanced age it still has its charms.

Reading up on it on Wikipedia today, I learn that the song, which every kid in my school knew by heart, was based on a story created by a guy who worked for Montgomery Ward, way back in 1939. His brother-in-law, Johnny Marks, wrote the ditty, and it found its way into various media before the TV special.

Looking at it today, there are certain things that most children don't notice. Sure, it's about tolerance about those that are different, but, as with a lot of 1960s TV (Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie), it can be seen as a metaphor for the travails of outsiders in society; namely, homosexuals. The way Donner treats poor Rudolph, or the way Clarice's father says "No doe of mine will ever be seen with a red-nosed reindeer" practically scream pre-Stonewall attitudes. Of course, it's not only homosexuals who have felt like outsiders--I don't think Hermie the would-be dentist elf was necessarily light in the loafers.

I marvelled at how many facets of this show have deeply ingrained themselves into American culture. The whole Island of Misfit Toys concept, which I'm guessing was unique to the show, was the most brilliant stroke, and has been mined by the ironic ever since. King Moonracer, a flying lion? Were the writers smoking mushrooms when they came up with that one? I had always wondered about the doll on the island--her malady is never mentioned. As I matured, I wondered if it was something that polite society couldn't discuss, like nymphomania, but producer Arthur Rankin cleared up the mystery a few years ago, stating she was suffering from depression.

Then there's mean Santa. Many of my friends and I have discussed how odd it was that the most beloved figure in most children's imaginations was depicted as a curmudgeon--it was if Santa was channeling Andy Rooney. Up until the very end he was an asshole. Mrs. Santa had quite the patience with him. And the show also had antiquated sexist ideas--Donner tells his wife that she can't go looking for Rudolph--it's man's work. Donner, of course, is completely clueless.

My favorite character was always Yukon Cornelius, also unique to the TV show. He had the best lines--"Bumbles bounce," and "Looky what he can do." I'm guessing there have been at least a half dozen rock bands that have used his name as their own.

If Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is a call for tolerance, it cops out at the end. Rudolph is only accepted after he saves the day--it would be nice if the residents of Christmastown welcomed him without his heroics.

Comments

Popular Posts