Quill

There were many famous bands that played at Woodstock, but there were also some obscure ones, those that saw Woodstock as the highlight of their existences. One of those is Quill, who were a regional band that somehow got on the bill and opened day two. They broke up shortly afterward, and put out only one, self-titled album.

Amazingly, that album is available on Amazon music and I gave it a listen. It's pretty good, it's a shame they ended it so quickly. The sound is psychedelic and very much fitting the time, with some long songs and meander, but there are also a few shorter songs that would have been radio friendly, and one song, "BBY," that has a jazz element to it.

The band was founded by two brothers, Jon and Dan Cole, and were frequently opening acts for big names, such as Jeff Beck, The Kinks, The Who, and strangely, Steve Martin. After Woodstock the band members went their separate ways and now Quill exists only as the answer to a trivia question--they were the lowest paid band of all the acts at Woodstock.

I enjoyed listening to their record. I don't know what the songs meant, for the most part, as I don't have any lyrics to look at, but I found myself tapping my foot and bopping my head to much of it.

Comments

Popular Posts