The Ghosts of Highway 20

Hearing a few Lucinda Williams songs on the radio, I was reminded that I hadn't listened to her latest album, The Ghosts of Highway 20, that came out a few years ago. I have now, and am impressed, but a little worn out.

It takes a commitment to listen to it. It is a double album, and has some long songs. None of them are under four minutes, and one is over nine minutes and another twelve. I'm not sure they need that length, and so to listen to this record in one shot is like watching a movie. This is not a bad thing, just something to consider.

As usual, Williams sings the songs in a feline growl. The lyrics aren't immediately understandable, so it takes a few listens to find out what she's singing about. I, of course, go a lyric web site to get the final word. Two of the songs are written by others: "House of Earth" is by Woody Guthrie, and "Factory" by Bruce Springsteen. "Dust" is mostly by Miller Williams, Lucinda's father, whose death oversees this entire album.

In "Death Came," Williams sings:

"I was called to the rowing banks by the water to bathe in the river of truth
The river tried to pull me under and refused to turn me loose
I was called to read from the bible of life, I read from beginning to end
Every page and every line, still I could not comprehend"

The title song, which also reeks of death, includes:

"I went through hell when I was younger
Deep in the well you'll see the hunger
To find the strength I got within me
To wrestle with the ghost of highway 20"

"Louisiana Story" is a lovely song about growing up in that state, and "If My Love Could Kill" has ominous overtones.

The Ghosts of Highway 20 is a powerful album that can not be listened to casually. It further establishes Williams as one of our best songwriters.

Comments

Popular Posts