Edward Albee



Who is the greatest living playwright? Well, I'll restrict the question to greatest living American playwright, so as not to get into a spat with those that would support Harold Pinter. Answer--Edward Albee, who will be a playwright-in-residence for the coming year at Princeton. That's great news for Princeton, and great news for people like me who live nearby. One of the plums from this residence will be a new Albee play that will be part of the season at the Princeton-based McCarter Theater. I had been waffling about subscribing, but as soon as I heard that I sent in my order form.

I haven't read all of Albee. I have read Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf more times than I count. I also saw Three Tall Women in New York, and a production of All Over at the McCarter. In addition, I played a role in Zoo Story during college. I should like to read and see more. His work is thrilling and I'm glad he's still active even as he approaches his eighties.

Comments

Popular Posts