Satellite Radio



Flush with the giddiness of getting a cell phone, I've added another gadget to my belongings--a satellite radio (Will TiVo be next?). The first, difficult decision, was which one to get--XM, or Sirius? XM has baseball, Sirius Howard Stern. I decided to go with XM. Since Stern went off terrestrial radio in December, I find that I haven't missed his show that much, and I only listened to him for the short drive to work, anyway. I figured I'd get much more enjoyment out of the baseball coverage.

Satellite radio is most handy for long drives. I listened to it on my drive to Gettysburg. It's nice not having to change radio stations as you drive long distances. I've limited myself to just a few stations so far. In the morning, I like to listen to the sixties station, where you'll hear anything from Yummy Yummy Yummy I've Got Love in My Tummy to the Jefferson Airplane. I also enjoy the classic rock stations, and the "college/indie" station, which plays contemporary music like The Yeah Yeah Yeahs. On Sundays I'll probably listen to classical and standards (they carry Jonathan Schwartz's show).

Unfortunately, I can't get a signal inside my house. The antenna has to be facing the south, and I have no windows that do that. I can use it as a walkman, as long as I'm in a spot with a southern exposure.

Comments

Popular Posts