Turning 45 in Gettysburg



After I manage to get through this work day, I'll be off for four days. Tomorrow, I'll be spending the day with my old chum, Bob, who is turning 45 today (Flanders, New Jersey residents are advised to lock up their daughters!) I'll be turning 45 on Monday, and will be in Gettysburg for the occasion.

A little over a year ago, my mother purchased a bed and breakfast in the heart of Gettysburg. My brother and his wife help run it. It's called The Brafferton Inn, and is pictured at left. The web site can be accessed by the link on the right.

Gettysburg is a great place for American history buffs. Of course there is the battlefield, which I've been through a few times now. There are also a few streets that are packed cheek by jowl with various museums and gift stores. Some of them are cheesy, but there are also many that are more dignified. Every time I visit I try to visit another one. Last time I went through the Jenny Wade Museum. She was the only civilian killed in the battle. The tour was interesting enough, but hardly worth the price. Maybe this time I'll go to the Train Museum.

As for turning 45, well, I've been mentally imaging that number for a few months now, so it doesn't seem quite so bad. Statistically speaking, it's quite likely I've lived over half my life. George Carlin used to do a bit about how God should give people two-minute warnings right before they die. I think we should be notified at half-time. If you get some kind of sign that you've lived half your life, your second half might be a lot more productive. Of course, if you get that announcement while you're twelve years old, that would be a bummer.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts