Reliving the Best of 2004



Over the last ten days I've looked at the DVDs for the Best Picture nominees of 2004. I'd seen each of them in the theater, of course, but since it had been at least a year since I'd seen them, I was interested to see how they would hold up. Upon the first viewing, I had liked all five pictures, which is probably unusual, if I took the time to look back and figure that out.

First was Ray. This film doesn't deviate far from the template for entertainer biopics: early struggles, success, huge success, battling demons stemming from success, conquering demons, peace. What makes Ray enjoyable is the music and the scenes with Ray Charles as a boy, living in poverty in rural Florida. I credit this to the remarkable performance by newcomer Sharon Warren as Ray's mother.

There is commentary by Taylor Hackford, who barely takes a breath. Much of it is interesting and instructive. The extras are pretty skimpy, though, and don't justify a second disc.

Next up was Finding Neverland. I like films that explore the creative process, which this film does. I think the director, Marc Forster, captures the fairy-tale aspect of the story nicely, and jeez, you don't have a heart if you don't get at least a lump in your throat during the last twenty minutes or so of the film, especially that last scene with Johnny Depp and Freddie Highmore on the park bench. The film does have some cliches, such as the uh-oh moment when Kate Winslet first coughs.

The commentary by Forster, along with the screenwriter and producer, is kind of scattered, and someone's cell phone rings twice.

The Aviator was next. This is a rousing entertainment, but perhaps just a bit too sprawling. Howard Hughes life probably needs a miniseries to tackle it all. But I admired the verve and pluck of all involved, and Leonardo DiCaprio is impressive. The commentary, by Martin Scorsese, editor Thelma Schoonmaker, and writer John Logan is well-done, and the second disc of extras is packed with info, including a History Channel documentary on Hughes.

Sideways was my personal choice for best film of 2004. I received the DVD for Christmas, and gave it a first look, listening to the commentary of actors Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church. The film holds up for me. I just love the little touches that Alexander Payne gives it, like a scene where Giamatti, abandoned by his buddy for the day, buys a copy of Barely Legal, but specifies to the sales clerk which one is the new one. I love idiosynchratic films, and characters who have quirks but are not dominated by them. The commentary is jokey and not particularly insightful, but a kick to listen to.

Last night I watched Million Dollar Baby again. This film is almost operatic in its inevitable tragedy. When it came out, there was a "twist" that people weren't supposed to give away, but come on, when Maggie talks about her dog I think it's pretty obvious what her future is. Hillary Swank and Morgan Freeman won Oscars, but on the second viewing I came away more impressed with Clint Eastwood. He manages to give the character a burden in the way he moves, his eyes, and his speech patterns. It is thought that Eastwood grabbed the Best Actor nomination that otherwise would have gone to Paul Giamatti, who I thought gave the best performance of the year.

There is no commentary for Million Dollar Baby. The extras are slight--a twenty minute chat with Eastwood, Swank, Freeman and professional ass-kisser James Hilton, and a couple of short featurettes.

Comments

Popular Posts