George McClellan



I finally finished the biography of Samuel Beckett, so I'm back to the book on Lincoln, specifically, Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, by Doris Kearns Goodwin. I should note that I have a particular reading habit: I read two books at once--a novel that I usually read during my lunch hour at work, and non-fiction, which I read at home. I had stopped reading the Lincoln book for a time because I had checked the Beckett book out of the library, but I ended up buying the Beckett book because there was no way I could finish it in the library's alotted time.

Okay, so last night the chapter I read was after the first Bull Run, when George McClellan was brought on. Goodwin does not pull her punches. Is there anyone more despicable in American history than this guy? I wouldn't be surprised to learn he hated children and dogs, too. From the very beginning he maneuvered to get General Scott out of the picture, and in letters to his wife fantasized about being president and dictator. Of course his strategy of staying put is well known. He also got one of Lincoln's good friends killed in a battle by not informing another general that he would not be providing reinforcements, and then put the blame on that general.

This chapter only goes up to the end of 1861, so I know McClellan's image is going to take a further pounding. The big mystery is why Lincoln stuck with him so long.

Comments

Popular Posts