The Da Vinci Code--The Movie


After reading the book a few weeks ago, specifically in preparation for seeing the film, I ultimately decided I would see it, after having my doubts following the critical pasting it took. There was nothing else playing I wanted to see, and I would be able to see it for free (I still had a free pass from my pals at the multiplex where I worked), so I figured it wouldn't hurt to get out of the house and take it in.

The result? Well, it's not a great film, but it's not the disaster that some critics paint it as. As with any film that Ron Howard directs, you know it's going to look good, make sense and be mildly entertaining. He is not Francis Coppola, who took The Godfather, a pulp novel, and turned it into a classic.

The problem with making a well-known book into a film is that there must be an urge to not deviate too much from the source material, or you have legions of attendees walking out of the theater griping, "It didn't happen that way in the book." There are some changes--mostly streamlining, and a few characters' motivations. But overall, all the plot points are there, so the film at times resembles a paint-by-numbers exercise, everything in place to please the masses.

But I'll give it this--I can't be too hard on a summer blockbuster that plays to the intellect, instead of just blowing shit up. This film goes into great detail about arcane history that is interesting (it must be interesting--40 million bought the book) and is actually thoughtful. This film may be a bit boring, but it is not dumb. I also enjoyed Ian McKellen chew the scenery. This actor really can turn on the twinkle in his eye.

I see that the bad reviews didn't keep people away, at least on the first weekend, and I think that's a good thing. This film can not be lumped in with all the crap that Hollywood is feeding us, and I give it some credit.

Comments

Popular Posts