Go Tigers!



Time for another baseball post, and it is spurred by the play of my favorite team, the Detroit Tigers. I've been a Tigers fan since I can remember, so nobody can accuse me of jumping on any bandwagons. If you add it all up, there's been a lot more lean than fat years. Since I've been an aware fan, they've won only one championship, in 1984. In fact, since 1992 they haven't finished above .500. Now they are 18-9, only half game out of first place. They are hitting AND pitching. I heard a stat the other day that the Tiger pitchers had allowed the fewest runs in the American League. Now that is absolutely stunning. They are also hitting the cover off the ball. They outscored the Minnesota Twins 33-1 in a three-game series over the weekend.

Is this due to the new skipper, Jim Leyland? Maybe, but I'll just bask in their good record while it lasts. I'm optimistic, because during this latest slate of bad years they have had bad Aprils, and generally get better as the season goes on. Now that April is out of the way, who knows?

Comments

  1. Anonymous7:30 PM

    This season has already made my XM subscription a bargain! As a life-long Reds fan, I am experiencing the same joy...an unexpectedly blissful April. The 5-0 Bronson Arroyo seems genuinely excited about his success, and the Reds have discovered, at last, the beauty that is Small Ball.

    And elsewhere in baseball, Albert Pujols, a man whose character has not been questioned, is overshadowing the hobbled Barry Bonds in the home run department.

    This is why I'm a fan.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts