The Moussaoui Sentence



While I listened to the radio to hear what sentence Zacarias Moussaoui would receive for his part in the 9/11 attacks, I had an interesting reaction: I wasn't sure what I thought. I am, in principle, opposed to capital punishment. I don't like the idea that government has the power to take someone's life. However, the strength of my opposition has mellowed over the years. I'm not someone who would devote my time and energy to anti-death penalty causes, like standing outside a prison in a candlelight vigil. Why? Well, those who are on death row, if they are guilty, are hardly the kind of people worth fighting for. I would prefer to devote my energy to the poor and downtrodden, not someone who killed people in a gas-station robbery.

So I was kind of glad that Moussaoui did not get the death penalty. I think the jurors showed admirable restraint. The key is supposed to be justice, not vengeance. Killing him would only satisfy blood-lust, not justice, as after all, he did not kill anybody. I think being locked up 23 hours a day forced to watch religious and educational black and white TV is punishment enough. Maybe they could just put the 700 Club on all day long? Nah, I think that would be cruel and unusual punishment.

Comments

Popular Posts