Nostalgia


I read in the entertainment news that there will be a feature-film version of Underdog, the cartoon from the 1960's. Thinking about that cartoon takes me back to the days when memories are fuzzy.

My childhood was pretty typical for a white kid in the American suburbs. My parents were married, I lived in comfort, and I had a loving extended family. But specific memories from before the age of six or so are few and far between. Instead I just remember things in terms of emotions--mostly from watching TV. Recalling a show like Underdog, or Speed Racer, or Captain Kangaroo can take me to emotional memories. I may not remember the room I was in when I was watching these shows, but I can remember how they made me feel. It's a very comfortable feeling, similar to the feeling I get when I remember sitting on my grandfather's lap while he ate his breakfast. Fortunately, the good feelings are the ones I remember most, although I know it wasn't an entirely rosy time for me, and I had my share of distresses. I think I've dealt with those issues, though, and put them behind me, and I can take out the good memories when I choose to.

Comments

Popular Posts