Television


The function of my television has changed drastically over the years. Today, it is mainly a picture tube that allows me to watch DVDs. I do not watch much programming over broadcast and cable stations, there is just too much crap, and I've grown weary trying to figure out when the good stuff is on.

It's kind of interesting to think how my viewing habits have evolved. I bought my first VCR in 1984, and it was an exciting time. I taped tons of stuff, and have the old tapes, with fading labels on them, to prove it. I taped each night's David Letterman Show, I taped shows while watching others. And I had a fairly complete cable package, complete with HBO.

I got rid of the extra cable a few years ago as a cost-cutting measure. I realized I was paying about $50 extra a month just to watch The Sopranos. Now I can go out and rent the DVDs anytime I want. Satellite TV seems like a good deal, but I don't have a southern exposure, and I don't want workmen in my house, drilling holes and running wires. TiVo is another option, but that seems like too much work to me, and when would I have time to watch all those shows I recorded?

The latest change was a few nights ago when I found that my remote wasn't working. A change of battery didn't help, so apparently it's shot. The remote operated the VCR, which was the way I changed channels. I had to unhook the VCR from the TV, so now it sits forlorn, unattached to anything. This hasn't changed much in my life, because I don't tape shows any more. If I really like a movie, I'll buy the DVD. If a show is on and I'm not home, c'est la vie. I'll catch it in a repeat, or again, I'll rent the DVD. I've tried to not let my television control my life.

Instead, I'm all wrapped up in my Netflix queue.

Comments

Popular Posts