The World Cup


Every four years, we here in the U.S. go through the same discussion: Why isn't soccer more popular in America?

It's an excellent question, and no one seems to know the answer. All around the world, the other nations practically shut down to watch the games in the World Cup tournament. But here it gets a cursory nod from the sports media, and if the U.S. team bows out early, the attention will dwindle down to practically nothing.

Why? Soccer, it is pointed out, is very prevalent among the American youth. In my day, there was no little league soccer, but we did play it in gym class at school. But that was completely unorganized, and we were taught nothing. I used to stand right near the goal and try to cherry-pick goals, having no idea I was constantly off-side. So people of my generation, I think, have no clue as to the intricacies and strategies of the game. To me, it's just guys kicking the ball up and down the field, with far too little scoring. When I try to watch a match, my eyes glaze over after a few minutes, and I give up.

So why do more recent generations, who played organized soccer, give up on it? Maybe because it doesn't have as much strategy as baseball or football? Or is it because there are no American superstars of soccer, so kids turn to the stars of established sports? Do good athletes abandon soccer for other sports, because they know you can't become a zillionaire playing soccer in this country?

I have a few other problems with soccer: the spectators don't know how much time is left; and players seem to have a tendency to dive, clutch their shins and howl with fake pain whenever another player brushes against them.

I have been to a few women's college soccer games. But that's really an excuse to sit outside on a pleasant fall day and ogle the college girls in attendance.

Comments

Popular Posts